> With all of the change above, my question would be "Why?". What are the
> benefits of the proposed changes? What are the impacts on the other
> supported operating systems?

Originally, I was surprised by the use of MSVC as main toolchain for
Windows, then I've planned to allow Apache Daemon to be compiled with MinGW
toolchain [1]. My goal is to compile and cross-compile Apache daemon for
Windows/Linux in 32/64bits with one tool; GCC is a good candidate.
However, I want to allow anybody to compile sources with a wide range of C
compilers, then C source code must follow one of C standards.

Taking Daemon off in a new direction isn't really what the community
> needs right now. What the community needs is support (in terms of fixes
> and releases) for the 1.0.x series.

I'm agree; this is much more for a 2.0.x version.

[1] Maybe I'm not aware about an issue with GCC for windows targets ?