Using RE is a no-no, so we need to do _something_

The code already suggests using an ISE:

                    // TODO: This is not great, throw an ISE instead?
                    throw new RuntimeException(e);

Curious: Why is adding a custom exception better that ISE? The question
will then be "Why do we not throw the custom exception all over instead of
JRE exceptions?"

Gary