Yeah, that could be the better way, with a branched off commit for the
"shrunk" project with a smaller <modules> list in the parent, then no
particular flags are needed to build from the resulting tag or source repo.

I initially planned to do so within the Taverna project (before we moved to
ASF), as it could mean smaller releases and avoiding updating OSGi
coordinates for no-change. It turned out to alienate the rest of the team
as then releasing become even more special, particularly if more than one
submodule needed updating. After moving to ASF we had to do release
artifacts (not just tags and Maven repo) and we abandoned this idea and had
to bite the bullet to release all modules every time.

As an example of projects doing the partial, look at the Clerezza project
which practices this using alternative release parents and dists; as an
outsider I find it a bit difficult to understand what of the project has
been released where (or at all), and which versions go together.

Commons components are luckily small, so I think it could be done - but
only IF NEEDED, rather than as general practice.

There is also the consideration of operation system distributions like
Debian who prefer a single source archive or tag for the whole project (and
no dual versions) - varying this per release means they are going to not
update correctly. Several commons component (including math3) are already
in Debian.