To follow up the thread on releasing parent 42 and exactly what needs to
signed, etc.  I’ve researched asf release policy.  Here’s the gist:

1. Every ASF release must contain a source package, which must be sufficient
for a user to build and test the release provided they have access to the
appropriate platform and tools.
<http://www.apache.org/dev/release#what-must-every-release-contain>

2. A release isn't 'released' until the contents are in the project's
distribution directory, which is a subdirectory of www.apache.org/dist/
<http://www.apache.org/dev/release#where-do-releases-go>.

3. Every artifact distributed to the public through Apache channels MUST be
accompanied by one file containing an OpenPGP compatible ASCII armored detached
signature and another file containing an MD5 checksum.
<https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#sigs-and-sums>

What do we consider the source package for our releases?
Are the xxx-sources.jar,  xxx-test-sources.jar, and pom sufficient to build and
test the release?
Is the zip/gz just a convenience and is it still useful/required?
Or is it the reverse, the zip/gz is the release and the jars are the
convenience distributions?

regards,
chas