Hello,
I think hybrid -sry/source does not work very well, since the IDE expect a
package-like directory structure. I am not sure it would work with src/main/
prefix.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 11:33 PM +0100, "Gary Gregory" <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Charles Honton  wrote:

> Several recent email threads have discussed our parent pom and release
> process.  The process we have derive from Apache Common’s rich history
> which pre-dates many current distribution practices.  I’d like to summarize
> several quirks with our current releases:
> The official release source tarball contains just the sources, not all the
> project files.  Building the artifact from just the src directory without
> the pom would be extremely difficult.
> The commons parent pom attaches the source tarball to the maven release
> for the side effects of signing/checksumming the source tarball.  This
> induces a manual step of removing the source tarballs from the staging
> repository.
> We publish convenience binaries to https://www.apache.org/dist/
> commons/XXX/binaries.  I doubt anyone consumes these binaries.  Most
> developers use Maven Central.  Extremely security conscious downstream
> projects consume the distribution source tarballs.
> The distribution artifacts are doubled in size by providing both .zip and
> tar.gz versions.
> Slightly different artifacts are published to Apache Distribution Site vs
> Maven Central.
>
> Now the questions:
>
> 1. Are there any concerns with publishing the source and source-test jars
> produced by maven-source-plugin as the official distribution artifacts?

You cannot build from the -source jars so that would not work. We could ADD
stuff to these jars to make them the same as the -src.zip files. Then we do
not need the -src.zip/tar.gz files.

> This would make the official distribution artifacts published to
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/XXX/source the same as the
> convenience source artifacts published to Maven Central.
>
> 2. Are there concerns with not publishing the convenience binaries to
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/XXX/binaries?  Alternatively, are
> there concerns with using the the jar produced by maven-jar-plugin as the
> convenience binary artifact?  This would make the convenience binary
> artifact published to https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/XXX/binaries
> the same as the convenience binary artifacts published to Maven Central.

Since the binaries are conveniences, we can do whatever we want IMO.

> Some background information to help contemplate these questions:
>
> When releasing a package, Apache Commons publishes the official source
> tarball at https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/XXX/source.  The Apache
> Release Policy  release-contain> and Release Signing Policy
> release-distribution.html#sigs-and-sums> require:
> “Every ASF release must contain a source package, which must be sufficient
> for a user to build and test the release provided they have access to the
> appropriate platform and tools”
> "Every artifact distributed to the public through Apache channels MUST be
> accompanied by one file containing an OpenPGP compatible ASCII armored
> detached signature and another file containing an MD5 checksum.” (.asc file
> and .md5 file)
>
> Apache Commons also distributes convenience binaries at
> https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/XXX/binaries. These convenience
> binaries must also be signed and checksummed.
>
> For even more convenience, Apache Commons also publishes packages to Maven
> Central.  Maven Central policy  pages/requirements.html> requires:
> “Projects with packaging other than pom have to supply JAR files that
> contain Javadoc and sources.”
> “All files deployed need to be signed with GPG/PGP and a .asc file
> containing the signature must be included for each file.”
> A pom file with
> Correct Coordinates
> Project Name, Description and URL
> License Information
> Developer Information
> SCM Information

A lighter weight system would:

- Publish the same as we do now to Maven Central PLUS adding all of the
files needed to build to *-sources.jar files such that they become the same
as *-src.zip/*-src.tar.gz files.
- Publish the *-sources jar file to https://www.apache.org/dist/
commons/XXX/source instead of the *-src.zip/*-src.tar.gz files.
- Stop publishing *-bin files

The question is, if we publish a build-able *-source.jar file to
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases/org/apache/commons/,
why do we need to double that up and ALSO publish to
https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/XXX/source ?

Not publishing to https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/
 would really simplify
things.