On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 14:38:21 -0500, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Now, for the contents of the "fraction" module.
>>>
>>> (1)
>>> My main current concern is the formatting-related classes; as for
>>> "complex", I think that
>>>  1. formatting (and I/O) is out of scope, and
>>>  2. the implementation were problematic in CM already.
>>> Hence, I'd prefer to drop support altogether.[1]
>>>

>>> I see your point of view, but allow me to play devil's advocate.  It
>> seems
>> natural to create the formatter for a new object, in particular a number
>> type, close to the type itself.  Making new objects and expecting another
>> project to implement the formatting seems like what economists call an
>> externality.  I suppose it really depends how everyone maintaining text
>> would feel about it.  I am somewhat concerned about how the release cycle
>> would work, in particular for the initial released, where text would have
>> to wait for a release of numbers before including the formatting and then
>> users would not have formatting until the next release of text.
>>
>> That said if the people maintaining text agree I have no objection.
>>

> [Text] is also a new component. It is not unthinkable that its scope
> can encompass flexible formatting of such things as "fractions".

At the risk of raising a sore subject, wasn't the expectations of third
parties that someone else maintain code for them part of the impetus for
the current effort?  So shouldn't we get buy-in from the commons-text team
before we make a decision?

> As suggested, someone having a clear idea of what would be the use
> cases for formatting fraction, complex, and the likes, can create a
> new "commons-text-math-formatting" module (that would depend on the
> necessary modules from [Numbers]).
> From my experience with them, the formatting class from [Math] are
> not worth keeping.
> A lot of other codes should IMHO be given higher priority.

> My point is that, generally, people using "fraction" can do with the
> constructors (to input data) and the accessors (to read result).
> Moreover, developers of "fraction" usually would not want to spend
> inordinate amounts of time to satisfy new formatting requests (that
> tend to translate into hundreds of lines of code, cf. CM).

The existence of some formats shouldn't result in an obligation to support
whatever formats are requested.

> The formatting code itself is not part of the concept, and so IMO
> effectively out of scope.
> There is no more sense to output "ugly" ASCII than there would be
> to generate any other output formats that would be more suited to
> represent mathematical concept (e.g. LaTeX).
>
> For logging and debugging purpose, "toString" should be quite fine.

I imagine that the greater value is in the parsing portion of the format
classes, not the output portion.

Thanks,
Ray