Hi.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 08:10:27 +0100, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
Hello Gilles,

Am 30.01.2017 um 02:17 schrieb Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>:

Hi.

Anyone has a statement about it?

Functionalities that are candidates to be moved from "Math"
to "Numbers":
* FastMath

I just thought, maybe FastMath would fit into Commons Lang. WDYT?

Could be, but I'd consider it only if Lang would become "multimodule".

An interesting feature would be to be able to replace, at runtime,
in some portion of code, all calls to "Math" with calls to "FastMath"
(or any other class that implement the set of functions provided by
the JDK's "Math" class).
Is this feasible?

[...]

(Sorry for OT posting :-))

That's quite on-topic.
We should advance on a global roadmap for handling the future of
"Commons Math".

"FastMath" functions are at least as accurate as "Math". But the
"Fast" claim is not verified in some cases (hence a name change
might be in order).

The functions of "FastMath" are building blocks for other "low-level"
functionality; hence it should be made available either "standalone",
or in a light-weight component (hence the "Numbers" proposal), or in
a module of its own.

* CombinatoricsUtils [1]
* ContinuedFraction [1]
* special functions [1]
* solvers
* MathArrays [2]
* MathUtils [1]
* ...

Thanks,
Gilles

[1] With redesigned API (e.g. to allow usage as Java8 functional
   interface).
[2] Partly (e.g. "linearCombination").