On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:28:31 -0500, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

A very important issue here: what JDK version do we target?

I'd go for Java8, in the hope to revive interest in Commons from an
audience that might be put off by the "no fun" of older and soon
unsupported JVM.

I am inclined to go with Java 8. Oracle has stopped public updates for
Java 7, so perhaps "soon unsupported" is an understatement.

I'm trying to put it in a mild way, given the history of discussions
on such issues. The "End of Service Life" of Java 5 was 2009, yet
"Commons Math" was still targetting it 7 years later (including the
last 2 major versions)!

There are methods in java.lang.Math introduced in Java 8 (with the naming
pattern *Exact) which could simplify/eliminate some of the methods in
ArithmeticUtils.

Then we should move the functions that have an "xxxExact" counterparts
to "FastMath" (as per the Javadoc of that class, claiming that is a
drop-in replacement of "java.lang.Math").

Would you be willing to file a JIRA issue for that task, and take it
on?
Then a sub-task might be to check whether, as of Java 8, "FastMath"
is still faster or more accurate for some functions.