> On Feb 21, 2017, at 6:02 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 21 February 2017 at 04:40, Sampanna Kahu <sampy...@gmail.com
> <mailto:sampy...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>> Very good points are being made above. Please allow me to add my two cents
>> :-)
>>
>> What if the string contains syntactically valid HTML characters/tags and
>> our aim is to prevent rendering these tags in the browser when this string
>> is being served via a web application? Or prevent the execution of harmful
>> embedded scripts when serving it? The 'escapeOnce' method could be useful
>> here, right?
>
> I don't think so.
>
>> To explain better, let's consider an example of the specific use-case that
>> I had in mind when building the 'escapeOnce' method:
>> Consider the scenario of a simple restful web application where users can
>> manipulate their text using simple crud operations. Lets assume that we do
>> not have the 'escapeOnce' method yet.
>> 1. A user comes and submits his string. We escape it and store it in our
>> database. If the string had any HTML characters, they would have gotten
>> escaped.
>>
>> 2. After some time, the same user fetches his string, adds some more HTML
>> characters and submits it. At this point, although the escape method would
>> correctly escape the freshly added HTML characters, it would escape the
>> older escaped HTML characters again! (for example &gt; would become
>> &amp;gt;)
>> And this effect gets magnified if step number 2 above is repeated.
>
> Of course, that is my point.
>
> Also remember that you want to show the original string to the user.
> That's not possible in general if you use this approach.
>
> Suppose they originally entered
>
> "To code ampersand (&) in HTML, use '&amp;'"
>
> Using escapeOnce, this would become:
>
> "To code ampersand (&amp;) in HTML, use '&amp;'"
>
> You can either show that directly to the user, or use an unescapeOnce
> and show them:
>
> "To code ampersand (&) in HTML, use '&'"
>
> Neither makes any sense.
>
>> How do we solve the above problem without the 'escapeOnce' method?
>
> Store the raw string in the database and escape it just before display.
>
> If you are using Javascript, then use an approach such as this to escape it:
>
> document.getElementById("whereItGoes").appendChild(document.createTextNode(unsafe_str));
>
> See:
>
> http://shebang.brandonmintern.com/foolproof-html-escaping-in-javascript/
> <http://shebang.brandonmintern.com/foolproof-html-escaping-in-javascript/>
>
> This has a good discussion of some of the problems.
>
> ==
>
> Sorry, but it's not possible in general to do what you want, because
> one cannot reliably determine if a string has been escaped just from
> looking at the string.

Another thought occurred to me (again despite potential lack of value).

We should be able to quickly verify if there are any escape strings in the
string in question. A single application of unescape followed by checking
string equality with the original input would yield a predicate on the
existence of escape’s present in the input in question. From there we could:
(1) escape if no escapes were present in the original, or (2) throw an
exception if there were escapes present in the original string.

Again, this feels contrived, so I’m not really suggesting that we add it. I’m
just playing with ideas here that could accomplish what Sampanna is going for.

-Rob