Hello all,

In researching the build issue that Bruno came across in the release of
text-1.0-beta-1, I’ve discovered that it seems that
java.text.MessageFormat(String pattern) differs in its retrieval of the default
locale from out org.apache.commons.text.ExtendedMessageFormat in that it calls

    locale = Locale.getDefault(Locale.Category.FORMAT);

whereas we call

    locale = Locale.getDefault();

I believe this to be the underlying cause to the issue that Bruno saw when
running the local build of the release candidate. Does anyone have any
heartburn over taking the default locale handling for us and adding
“Locale.Category.FORMAT” to be in line with how java handles this?

As a novice in the locale area, any thoughts and suggestions are entirely
welcome.

Cheers,
-Rob