From: Bruno P. Kinoshita <brunodepau...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 3:29:22 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: [all] Should our gitignore files contain only build-related entries?

Hi,

[collections] recently received a pull request [1] to add VIM files to the
gitignore file. Its currently gitignore contains only a few entries for Eclipse
([lang] has more entries for Eclipse).

I remember asking something similar, and learning about the global gitignore.
But besides that, in the same thread, Benedikt suggested having only build
files ignored in our gitignore files [2], which I think is a good idea. Our
components do not follow any rule for gitignore files I think. I normally check
[lang] when I need to add a .gitignore to a new computer, but just realized
[text] and [lang] gitignore files differ ([lang] has a .checkstyle file under
the Eclipse ignored files).

I'm okay merging the pull request for [collections], but then we may also add
the remaining entries from [lang] there... except this pull request adds *.swp
which is missing from [lang]. So should we add it there too?

Some days ago I used NetBeans to test a generics suppress warning message [3],
but we may have developers using it as main IDE too. Would it be all right to
merge pull requests for it too? Or for files generated by plug-ins for
Eclipse/IntelliJ/etc?
What about 1) leaving only files generated by our build tools, 2) add a comment
to the .gitignore file describing how it works with links, 3) add a comment to
https://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingGIT and/or to the CONTRIBUTING.md perhaps
with a sample global gitignore file?

Cheers
Bruno