Hi,

maybe you have missed the discussion for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-399, but in short we face a
PR that introduces individual versions at package level for a component.

Actually I can understand the reasoning from a logical point if view, but it
fails for me completely from the practical side. Do we really want different
versions inside a single component? Can we even guarantee binary
compatibility to such an extent? Do we want such a micro-management for each
release?

IMHO it does not make sense, our release process is enervating enough. Until
now we provide one version for each release that is also valid for OSGi. I
have not too much experience with OSGi myself, but when I look into the
Eclipse ecosystem then I can see that a complete bunch of plugins is
released together as one version - I am not aware that they do such package
based version management. And - AFACIS - it is also possible to declare
valid ranges for OSGi dependencies. And we ensure with our release policy
for major versions (new package name) that no dependency can upgraded by
pure chance to a major incompatible version.

I won't put a veto on the commit of this PR, but actually I am not
interesting in supporting such a scenario for our components.

Your opinions?

Cheers,
Jörg