There's also some interesting execution APIs available in the Scala
standard library. Those are built on top of ForkJoinPool and such nowadays,
but the idea is there for a nicer API on top of ExecutorService and other
low level details.

In the interests of concurrency, there are other thread-like models that
can be explored. For example: http://docs.paralleluniverse.co/quasar/