Hi,

With little research I found[1] we do have use cases for it like in biology
(I think Bruno might be referring the same fields for its application)

"Palindrome recognition is important in computational biology. Palindromic
structures can frequently be found in proteins and identifying them gives
researchers hints about the structure of nucleic acids. For example, in
nucleic acid secondary structure prediction, one is interested in
complementary palindromes which are considered in the full version."

[1]http://drops.dagstuhl.de/opus/volltexte/2014/4454/pdf/12.pdf

Regards,
Amey