I've submitted several such cleanups over the past couple of month, and for
the most part, they've been well received.

I think the key here is to improve the codebase when possible but to leave
room to deviate from IntelliJ's norms when there's a good reason to.
Perhaps annotating such places with @SuppressWarning would be the best
approach, to signal to future developers that the warning was considered,
and we explicitly decided to suppress it (possibly with a comment in the
code explaining why).