On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 14:08:45 +0300, Allon Mureinik wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 12:16 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>>
>>> On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 21:17:43 +0300, Allon Mureinik wrote:
>>>
>>> We had a similar discussion about Configuration.

>>>   $ mvn site
>>> and checking the reports, is one of the (unwritten?) rule a contributor
>>> to Commons will be told about. ;-)
>>>

>> I think unwritten rules are worth as much as the paper they're written on.
>> Running "mvn site" is a great practice, but if we expect people to do so,
>> it should be stated very clearly in the contributor's guide.
>>

> Perhaps this is the document to update:
>   https://commons.apache.org/patches.html
> ?
>

> I suggest to move this phase to the validate phase of Maven which

>>> invalid code looks a bit strong.
>>>
>>> Therefore most

>>> takes time (e.g. wrt to the compilation of a fix being worked on); so
>>> it should be "mandatory" only before submitting a contribution.
>>>
>>> Perhaps, we should have a maven profile "-P check-requirements"
>>> which contributors _must_ run before providing a PR or attaching a
>>> patch to JIRA.
>>> That profile would thus contain your suggestion.
>>>

>>> The downside is that new (and eventually old) devs might be annoyed at

>>> advertize that contribution will be taken into account only if they
>>> pass the requirements.
>>>

>> I think there's two needs we should answer here.
>>
>> First, maintainers shouldn't have to run any additional step in order to
>> decide whether a patch is worthy. They should look at the code and commit
>> message(s), adn see if they have their merrit. Any technical requirement
>> (compilation, code style, test coverage, etc) can and should be handled by
>> automatic tools (namely: CI, or to be more specific, Travis CI we're using
>> on GitHub). Unless it takes hours upon hours to run (which it shouldn't),
>> the  fact that it takes time is inconsequential. You submit your patch,
>> and
>> once CI have verified that it's up to standard (usually within seveal
>> minutes), a maintainer can take a look and judge the subtance of the
>> patch.
>> This way, maintainers don't waste their time on boilerplate commenting.
>>

> Less work for the maintainers is good. :-)
>
> By "taking time" I meant that validating should not be enforced when
> calling "mvn compile" or "mvn test".
>
> Second, contributors need to be made aware of the expectations. I.e., a
>> contributor should know that if he or she runs command line X (regardless
>> of whether it's "mvn install -Pcheckstyle", "mvn site" or even "mvn
>> giles"), there are pretty good chance that the CI will also pass, assuming
>> there isn't some problem that only occurs on an alternative jdk/platform.
>>

> So IIUC, it would be necessary and sufficient to update
> [...]

Sounds like a good start.
Every commons project also has a CONTRIBUTING.md file that's autogenerated
by running mvn commons:contributing-md. It should either also include the
same guidelines (whatever we decide they should be), or add a link to the
aforementioned page.
These pages, BTW, already state that you should "Run all the tests with mvn
clean verify to assure nothing else was accidentally broken."
So I think adding verifications like checkstyle/findbugs/rat to the verify
phase could be a good, balanced approach.