Le 5 sept. 2017 05:40, "Ralph Goers" <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> a écrit :

> On Sep 4, 2017, at 2:24 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 4 sept. 2017 20:44, "Matt Sicker" <boa...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> You don't duplicate any logging config. You can use both slf4j-api and
> log4j-api with either logback or log4j2.
>

> Except you dont always have the choice with 2 apis. It also messes up
> logging lifecycle and setup which needs 2 integrations in the environment.
> Whatever reason you use it is not free to switch and even if log4j2 is
> awesome, it is far to be a first citizen api for a common library used in
> lot of contexts IMHO.

Now you have me curious about your last sentence. In you opinion, what is
keeping Log4j2 from being a first citizen api for a common library? You
didn’t mention SLF4J in that sentence so I am assuming you consider it to
be one. Why?

Purely usages as an api. Once again the fact I'm very cautious moving to
log4j2 api is not about the quality of log4j2. Take most of asf project
stacks and I guess slf4j, jul or even commons logging will be more used
than log4j2 as an API. Side question: wonder if we can extract this stat
through asf infra?

I hear the "if noone starts" side of the issue but it must be more global
than just one lib by lib (a bit like when tomee needs to support one more
java version and upgrades asm in openjpa, cxf, tomee, owb, ... at once).

Ralph