On 3 December 2017 at 01:32, Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 2, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Charles Honton <c...@honton.org> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve been down this path about a year ago.  We’re relying on the side effect
>> of these assemblies being artifacts for the GPG plugin to sign them.  There
>> is an outstanding JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MGPG-43
>> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MGPG-43>) to support signing
>> un-attached files.  Unfortunately, this was not sufficient.  The maven
>> deploy plugin generates the md5/sha1/asc files.  I suggested adding this
>> functionality to the GPG plugin.  The response
>> (http://maven-dev.markmail.org/search/?q=MGPG-43#query:MGPG-43+page:1+mid:6huxvhef5rzmzmsh+state:results
>>
>> <http://maven-dev.markmail.org/search/?q=MGPG-43#query:MGPG-43+page:1+mid:6huxvhef5rzmzmsh+state:results>)
>>  was not positive.
>
> Ugh. This sounds like an unfortunate situation. Many thanks for those
> insights. You’ve definitely saved me a week of figuring that out.
>

>> The step to take now is to create a new plugin and work with the maven core
>> team to accept a new plugin to support our use case.  Alternatively, we can
>> change our release process to something similar to what the Maven team does.
>>  There is native support for their process.
>
> I’ll try to read their documentation on their release process.

Another approach I tried a while back (*) is to keep the current deploy process.
I.e. deploy the ASF mirror artefacts to Nexus along with the rest.
This ensures that the non-Maven zips are created and signed under target

An additional stage then copies the ASF archives/sigs/hashes from
target/ to dist/dev/commons using svnmucc.

Optionally the Nexus directory can be tidied up to remove the
unnecessary archives/sigs/hashes
Ideally they would be excluded from the upload so this was not
necessary, but that could be part of a separate effort.

(*)
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/commons-staging-plugin/trunk/