On 3 February 2018 at 14:00, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2018 13:25:25 +0000, sebb wrote:
>> Note that you have to define the snapshots repo locally if you want to
>> reference a snapshot parent.
>> This is because the ASF snapshot repo is not known by Maven.
>> It's defined in the apache pom which is referenced by the CP snapshot
>> which of course cannot be found until it is first downloaded...
>>
>> To get round this, you can add a profile like this to your settings.xml:
>>
>>     <profile>
>>       <id>snapshotrepo</id>
>>       <repositories>
>>         <repository>
>>           <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
>>           <name>Apache Development Snapshot Repository</name>
>>

>> <url>https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
>>           <releases>
>>             <enabled>false</enabled>
>>           </releases>
>>           <snapshots>
>>             <enabled>true</enabled>
>>             <updatePolicy>always</updatePolicy>
>>           </snapshots>
>>         </repository>
>>       </repositories>
>>     </profile>
>>
>> and invoke it with -Psnapshotrepo
>

> In my "settings.xml", there is only a section with the credentials
> for the snapshot repository; I can't see where the URL is defined
> but the functionality works (snapshots are downloaded).

It will work for ordinary shapshots, but not for parent snapshots.

Try changing the parent version of a pom to 99-SNAPSHOT and see what happens.
(Deliberately using a non-existent version so it won't be found locally)

For me this fails with:

$ mvn clean
[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:

[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for
org.apache.commons:commons-compress:1.16-SNAPSHOT: Could not find
artifact org.apache.commons:commons-parent:pom:99-SNAPSHOT and
'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 20, column 11

Note that it does not attempt a download.

Whereas if I use -Psnapshotrepo I get

$ mvn clean -Psnapshotrepo
[INFO] Scanning for projects...

Downloading:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/commons/commons-parent/99-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml

Downloading:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/commons/commons-parent/99-SNAPSHOT/commons-parent-99-SNAPSHOT.pom

[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:

[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for
org.apache.commons:commons-compress:1.16-SNAPSHOT: Could not find
artifact org.apache.commons:commons-parent:pom:99-SNAPSHOT in
apache.snapshots.https
(https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots) and
'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 20, column 11

i.e. it tries to download the pom but fails. This shows that the
snapshot repo has now been defined, as expected.