We can easily convert the existing git repos over to gitbox. The only
changes we'll need to make here will be updating the SCM URLs (both in
pom.xml and the current site) to point to the proper subdomain. Existing
clones from git-wip-us.a.o or elsewhere can be updated by changing the
remote url (git remote set-url origin <url>).

As for subversion repos, we may have to get some updates added to the
authors.txt for apache. Last time I tried to convert a commons repo, I
found some usernames of deceased people who were never added to
authors.txt. That would ensure the cleanest history migration.

The alternative is to just take the github mirror of an svn repo and use
that as the basis for the new git repo. I don't think that preserves all
the author history properly, however, due to differences between svn and
git metadata (hence the authors.txt file).