On 1 May 2018 at 05:12, Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org> wrote:

> Just one question: Why?
>
> The implementation jars for compress would be tiny and would have close to
> none dependencies.

As an end user, I'd prefer to only have to manage a single maven coordinate
(e.g., commons-vfs-ssh) instead of multiple ones depending on my use case
(i.e., optional dependencies). It makes it easier to figure out which
solutions are actually supported at a glance without having to dig through
documentation as well.

Also, I feel like one of Commons' goals is to avoid jar hell, and providing
a monolith with several optional dependencies smells like jar hell to me.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>