On 16/06/18 21:14, Matt Sicker wrote:
> On 16 June 2018 at 14:11, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> What is driving the desire to move to Java 8?
>>

> What's driving the desire to maintain support for a seven year old release
> of Java which is not supported without paying large sums of money to
> Oracle?

As I said, Tomcat 8 which has at least another 4 to 5 years of life in
it, depends on DBCP 2 and has a specification mandated requirement to
maintain compatibility with Java 7.

There are ways the Tomcat community could work around this. Because Java
7 is EOL does not - on its own - strike me as a sufficiently good reason
to create hassle for another ASF community.

If there are new features in Java 8 we want to take advantage of or an
update to the JDBC API that we want to support then fair enough. Those
are good reasons but I'd like to see them explicitly articulated.

Mark