Hi.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 11:13:48 +0000 (UTC), Bruno P. Kinoshita wrote:
Hi Rob!

Thanks for RM'ing lang 3.8!

I think it would be good to fix for LANG-1339, as we get closer to
supporting Java 9 someday...

I believe the summary from the last comments in the discussion in the
mailing list is that looks like Observable/Observable won't be removed
from the JDK, but marked as deprecated and not maintained. We can't
just copy the JVM code into our codebase (even if internal). And
java.util.concurrent provides the building blocks for the DIY
observer/observable pattern.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Observer/Observable can be trivially
implemented within the library.
In the "observable" class, define
 * an inner interface "Observer" that declares method
     public void update(CircuitBreaker);
 * a field "observers" (of type "List<Observer>"),
 * a method "registerObserver(Observer)" that populates the list,
 * a method "notifyObservers":
     private void notifyObservers() {
        for (Observer obs : observers) {
            obs.update(this);
        }
     }

Alas, it could take a while until we had a proper replacement for the
observable/observer. So maybe we could discuss merging the pull
request, and adding the deprecated note for existing circuit breakers? The cons of this solution, is that the new circuit breakers would rely on code being marked as deprecated in JDK 9 I think :/ (unless someday
we got a proper replacement in something like Java 12, 13, ...)

But I wouldn't want to block the release if it appears it'd take too
long to fix it. WDYT?

Cheers
Bruno

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG-1339