> This is unlikely to happen as long as it does not cover multi-module builds

The maven-release-plugin covers multi-module releases since many years.

In the projects I'm working on there is no 'release manager'.
_Everybody_ can do releases without having to know anything special.
This is where the maven-release-plugin really shines.
Just use mvn release:prepare + mvn release:perform and be done.

Of course it's fine if projects use ant, etc.
But ideally there should be a single way to kick of a release (fully automated,
same target name across projects, etc)

LieGrue,
strub