This discussion keeps popping up every few month. At the end we alway
conclude that we don't want to publish anything that's binary incompatible
under the same coordinates. So way are we discussing this again? Appending
"beta" to a release version will not stop people from using it. So why not
simply call it 1.0 and be done with it?

Benedikt