https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/commons/content/proper/${commons.componentid}
>>> </commons.scmPubUrl>
>>> ????
>>
>> What about starting from maven requirements and try and avoid
>> redundancies (that ultimately lead to inconsistencies)?
>>
>> Given are
>>  <artefactId>
>>  <version>
>
> I’m actually indifferent to how we approach this.

Discussion should be on what is
1. desirable
2. achievable

And, if you are willing to continue your work on this, it is
IMO desirable to take this opportunity to actually reduce the
level of redundancy found in the projects' POMs, with all their
slight variations that keep things more complicated than they
could be.

> I’m more just
> motivated to pick a direction and get it behind us.

Do you know whether it is possible to go in the direction
which I propose?

The original problem this solved is that components that did use a version number in their artifact ID has to do to much redefining in their POMs.

We are now entering bike-shedding territory IMO.

Unfair.

As Sebb (IIRC) pointed out
elsewhere, a component does not have to update to a new CP version. If it
does, obviously, it has to adapt.

I don't agree: Components that used to delegate to CP should not start
doing everything by themselves because some CP update is not adequate
for all components.  Case in point: at some point, CP evolution broke
multi-module builds, while update was *required* to support newer JDK.

I sincerely believe that we are all
trying to make Commons better.

Didn't say otherwise.  Just that we cannot stay in the middle of
the river (meaning: some components cannot build).

There is no compatibility guarantees for our
internal components but of course we do not want to create headaches if we
do not have to.

Thank you.
Current headache is: How do I make "mvn site:stage" work for [RNG]?

We MUST make the distinction between an artifactId and
OtherID (pick names, today, packageId and componentId) which does not
include the major version number. That's what the current CP does and works for some components that have been released. CP also reduces the amount of properties you have to redefine in components, like the various URLs. My POV here is that we can make adjustments to CP but there is no need for some higher level discussion about "desirable" and "achievable". The goal has been achieved IMO, using packageId and componentId, you can write POMs that work for components that either have a version number or not in their
artifact IDs.

IMO conciseness would help. Not arguing further; those who do the work
will choose whatever suits them.

Gilles

Gary

Gilles