On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:55:02 -0700, Eric Barnhill wrote:
The Fraction class is IMO looking good (in better shape than Complex was in) and is already quite close to fulfilling the standards for a VALJO.
Equals() and CompareTo() are well designed and consistent. I see two
missing steps. The easy one is a parse() method which mirrors the
toString() method. The harder one is the wide range of public constructors.

To be a VALJO all constructors must be private and accessed with static factory methods. If these factory methods themselves can be overloaded, I
think a decent schema emerges:

current constructor -> proposed factory method
public Fraction(double value) -> public fromDouble(double value)
public Fraction(double value, double epsilon, int maxIterations) -> public
fromDouble(double value, double epsilon, int maxIterations)
public Fraction(double value,int maxDenominator) -> public fromDouble
(double value,int maxDenominator)
public Fraction(int value) -> public fromInt(int value)
public Fraction(int num, int denom) -> public fromInt(int num, int denom)

Why not call them all "of(...)" ?

Gilles

so this is what I propose to go with.

If disambiguation in the double cases is still a problem, the second and
third of the double constructors could be fromDoubleEpsMaxInt and
fromDoubleMaxDenom .

Eric

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 16:18:50 -0700, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> I am interested in moving forward on making the Fraction classes
> VALJOs
> [NUMBERS-75].
>
> Just a preliminary question for now, are we otherwise happy with the
> Fraction class in the context of commons-numbers? Or should I look
> around
> for any odd behaviors leftover from commons-math (Complex had a lot
> of
> those) that might also be improved?

AFAIK, there was no in-depth review as was done for "Complex".
So it would indeed be quite useful to check what the Javadoc
states, whether it seems acceptable (wrt what other libraries
do), and whether the unit tests validate everything.

Side note: Unless I'm overlooking something, completing this
task will result in getting rid of all the formatting and
"Locale"-related classes (as for "Complex").

Best,
Gilles