On 11/26/18 1:23 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
On 11/26/18 8:29 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
On 11/26/18 6:19 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
Hi Phil!

Let me start by repeating that other than trying to help diagnose bugs and answer user questions, I don't really work on [pool] any more, so I don't really have any standing here.  You are the RM, so it is completely up to you and the active Commons committers to decide what to do with the code.  So fine to ignore my comments.

  I think that the right answer here is WONT_FIX. That sounds harsh, but it seems to me that the obvious solution here is for the user to set maxIdle to at least 1.
I thought about that as well!
Setting maxIdle to 1 will make it less likely but a deadlock will STILL happen.
I am not sure this is right.  If maxIdle >0, the fix for POOL-240 (a similar liveness issue) should kick in and work. Each time a validation or passivation failure occurs on return, there is a call to ensureIdle that will create a new instance and add it to the pool if there is capacity to do so.
So I fear we really need to tackle this. Stackoverflow and our own bug tracker is full of such reports :(

I see one additional actual report on GKOP (the other linked issue, which should be similarly patched if the consensus is to do this for GOP). The vast majority of the liveness reports that we have gotten over the years in DBCP and pool are just pool exhausted due to failure to return instances.

The workaround violating maxIdle will restore liveness, but is likely the wrong solution here.  Again, up to you guys to judge. Note that when you specify maxIdle equal to 1
Crap.  Meant 0 there.
you are telling the pool to destroy all returning instances.  To use the pool in this way is silly, IMO.  With your patch, new instances are still created for *every* borrow.  The pool and all of its machinery is doing nothing other than tracking the number of active instances and making sure life cycle events are fired.  If you want the semantics of returning object with threads waiting to be that the returning object is passivated, activated and handed directly to a waiter without every hitting the idle instance pool, that would require rewriting a fair bit of the borrow / return code.  It is an interesting idea and would solve the POOL-240 as well.

One final comment.  If you stick with something like what is in the code now, you should make sure to passivate the new instance before putting it into the pool.  I just noticed that ensureIdle does not do that, which I think is a bug in that method.  So if you want to proceed with this fix, I would recommend

1.  Move the ensureIdle activations added in POOL-240 into destroy itself.
2.  Add passivation to ensureIdle
3.  Implement corresponding workaround for GKOP

Sorry, all.  Looking again and thinking a little more, I think the best fix for this is actually to prevent the destroy on return in the first place if there are take waiters.  The maxIdle invariant gets violated with the ensureIdle or direct create() fix anyway and just allowing the returning instance to go into the pool avoids the needless destroy / create sequence.  A simple way to do this is just to recode maxIdle before the destroy test in returnObject.
Instead of

final int maxIdleSave = getMaxIdle()
explicitly recode it:

// If maxIdle is set to 0 and there are take waiters, bump it to 1
// to preserve liveness.
 final int maxIdleSave = idleObjects.hasTakeWaiters() ? Math.max(1,getMaxIdle()) : getMaxIdle();

Phil

Phil

LieGrue,
strub