On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 00:51:11 +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
Hello,

just noticed an adapter is already referenced
(rng.simple.JDKRandomBridge)

Forgot that one; sorry!
Thanks for the reminder; "setSeed" is even supported...

on the „why not java random“ page. So it
can be used with the BigInteger constructor to generate power-of-two
randoms (already).

I wont request more Features without having a usecase for them.
Thanks for Looking into this.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

Von: Gilles
Gesendet: Samstag, 22. Dezember 2018 00:35
An: dev@commons.apache.org
Betreff: Re: [rng] Uniform big integers

Hi.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 16:04:05 +0000, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
Hello,

The actual discussion on the OpenJDK list turned out to be a wrong
understanding and the simple case of generating random bytes was
enough for BigInteger.

However regarding RNG I can open requests, one would be for a
RandomAdapter and the other would be to add a factory method for
BigInteger (and possibly BigDecimal) to the Random Providers. (Or
did.
You mean only the Adapter?)

I actually meant testing whether the bug you mentioned could
be seen with an RNG other than "java.util.Random". But since
(IIUC) there is no bug...

Adapter/Bridge cannot fulfill all the functionality of "Random"
(e.g., there is, intentionally, no "setSeed" method).
It's a can of worms/issues with no decent workaround.[1]
So better leave that to application developers: The bridge itself
is trivial[2]; then they must be aware of what to implement,
depending on what the code (to which they pass the adapter) is
doing with it.

Generating "BigInteger" is at a level higher than the rest of the
core API (i.e. "UniformRandomProvider"), which is meant to generate
primitive types.[3]
At first sight, I'd put that functionality in another module.

[1]

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/userguide/why_not_java_random.html
[2] We might insert a paragraph about this in the userguide, and/or
     provide the code snippet in the "commons-rng-examples" module.
[3]

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-rng/commons-rng-client-api/apidocs/org/apache/commons/rng/RestorableUniformRandomProvider.html

Gruss
Bernd