Am 11.02.2019 um 12:19 schrieb Alex Herbert:
I would like to upgrade the checkstyle version in commons-rng. Currently the project uses maven-checkstyle-plugin 3.0.0 which defaults to checkstyle 6.18.

This version is old [1] and not supported by modern IDEs. An update (to version 8.x) would allow checkstyle to be run within the IDE and avoid separate checks of the checkstyle report on the command line.

There is no management of the checkstyle version in commons-parent. I would like to get a consensus on the versions used across commons and any reason to not upgrade. There may be legacy reasons I am unaware of.

Checkstyle 7+ requires Java 8 and not that long ago (almost) all commons projects required only Java 7 or less.

Imho commons-parent can use the most recent check-style version (8.17). Of course this would force projects which use Java 7 or less to override the checkstyle version when they update to the latest commons-parent version.