> On 12 Mar 2019, at 16:58, Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Replying to the ML.]
>
> Le mar. 12 mars 2019 à 13:00, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com
> <mailto:alex.d.herb...@gmail.com>> a écrit :
>>

>> On 11/03/2019 23:54, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

>>> See other thread.

>>> +1
>>
>> Ah. Most of these generators have more than one constructor (see below
>> on the discussion for the change to the SplitMix64 generator). These are
>> utility constructors given the small size of the seed. e.g. for a seed
>> of length 4:
>>
>> public XoShiRo256StarStar(long[] seed)
>>
>> public XoShiRo256StarStar(long seed0, long seed1, long seed2, long seed3)
>>
>> I did not see this as an issue. I added unit tests to show that the same
>> input data in either the array or the primitives produces the same
>> generator sequence. The primitive constructor does not have to do array
>> checking and filling when the array is not the correct length. The input
>> is directly used to set the state. It is a cleaner constructor, but it
>> does not fit the model required by the ProviderBuilder which would like
>> an object seed.
>>
>> I am going to rewrite the ProviderBuilder internals to allow the size of
>> the seed to be known and to remove the use of reflection to create a
>> source. In this instance the primitive constructor would be better. That
>> is a motivating reason for the change to the SplitMix64 too.
>
> I did not look again at the code yet; but if you can work around
> the issue (as I recalled it) without impacting the public API, then
> fine I guess. :-)

>>> IIUC, "big effect" only when constructing and throwing quickly very
>>> many objects.
>>> The doc should make it clear that it's not the "nominal" use-case.
>>
>> Yes. There is not a document for this at the moment anyway (i.e. the
>> results of the construction benchmark). Should a section be added to the
>> user guide?
>
> Benchmarks can certainly go in the "Performance" section.
>
>> This can outline that a generator should be picked for its
>> intended purpose: output datatype required (int, double, etc) and number
>> of samples (period). For short lived generators with low samples then
>> construction speed is a factor.
>
> All good as long as the entry point for application developers to
> create RNGs is "RandomSource".
>

>> This is a feature that will probably most benefit the
>> ThreadLocalRandomSource where short-lifetime generators are likely to be
>> required in a multi-threaded environment.
>
> ???
> IIUC, "ThreadLocalRandomSource" will store the longest-living RNG
> instances!

But only per thread. A new thread will get a new RNG which has to be seeded
again. But if you have an application with a few long term threads then the
ThreadLocalRandomSource can be used to store and retrieve any RNG of choice
without having to write extra code to do that yourself.

>> However the benchmark shows that once you are generating 1,000,000
>> samples then the construction cost of even the TwoCmres is much less
>> than the sampling time.

> I'm still wondering about applications that require short-lived
> generators...
> It doesn't seem to ever be a good idea to do that.  There was
> an issue caused by that in [Digester], fixed only in the latest
> release…

Short lived generators for example for array shuffling of small arrays that
will be done only once.

ThreadLocalRandomSource solves this by just giving the thread the current one,
or a new one if the thread has never used one before. In the later case a low
construction cost is good, especially if the thread is also short lived. For a
shuffle of 100 items then a SplitMix64 will do a good enough job and can be
built very fast.

For simulations then you should be using longer period generators. If doing a
multithreaded simulation I use a new RNG per Runnable put into an
ExecutorService. However the Runnable can now use
ThreadLocalRandomSource.current(…) to get the RNG. So for a fixed thread pool
there potentially can be less generators as they get reused, and the Runnable
does not have to be written to do lots of work in a loop with the same RNG.

Parallel simulations is a case where the split() and jump() functionality would
be better still to avoid sequence overlap.

>>> +1
>>> [No promise of reproducibility for "derived" types.]
>> OK. I'll put that in.

>>> Would there be a better place than in package "o.a.c.rng.simple"?
>> It was either in simple or examples. But I would like to see it as a
>> feature in use so I would leave it in simple
>
> Sure, it's a useful feature to help users avoid bad usage.

>>> IIRC, there is some developer doc that refer to having a single
>>> constructor.  But I do not recall the reason.
>>
>> I did not know. I cannot find that explained in the project docs. I
>> looked in site/xdoc/developers.xml and a poor regex search through the rest.
>
> I think I meant this[1]:
> The "provider" must specify one way for setting the seed. For a given
> seed, the generated sequence must always be the same.
>
>> Maybe the reason was to prevent ambiguous construction, e.g. with a
>> non-parameterised constructor.
>>
>> An exception was made for TwoCmres since it needs more arguments. That
>> is understandable.
>>
>> Could this rule be relaxed if the same data passed to different
>> constructors results in the same generated sequence?
>
> I guess so.
> IIRC, the limitation was due to using commons code in order to
> instantiate the appropriate RNG (core) class.
>
>> E.g. the unit tests
>> I added for the new XoShiRo generators test this.
>
> Thanks for all this work,
> Gilles

I’m happy to do it. I am just adding to the library from the perspective I have
as end user. Hopefully the changes will benefit other users as well as me.