On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 19:01, Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to know what developers are both stuck in Java 7 (or earlier)
> and also have the liberty to upgrade any of their dependencies
> regardless of compatibility concerns. My thoughts are that being stuck
> in the past for one dependency tends to leak into every other
> dependency for the same underlying reasons.

There is a big difference between upgrading the JVM and upgrading one
or two dependencies.

It's much easier to test against a new version of a single dependency
than to test against a new version of Java.

Changing JVM is akin to asking a business to upgrade from Windows 7 to
Windows 8 just to use an updated version of one application on a
system that has many other apps that rely on Windows 7.