> On 05/04/2019 09:27, sebb wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 12:28, Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> For those unfamiliar with MathJaX, is the javascript mechanism for
> >> accommodating for LaTeX (the math typesetting language, written by Donald
> >> Knuth) in html.
> >>
> >> It could be convenient to use mathematical notation in our javadoc
> >> generally. That said, Java doesn’t do this so it would indeed be
> >> non-standard. My opinion is in the +0.5 zone currently.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>
> > Is it likely that existing Javadoc comments will trigger MathJaX?
> > That would perhaps mean lots of changes just to stay still.
> >
> > What does it look like if JavaScript is not in use?
>
> Not very readable. Have a look at this page:

If one knows LaTeX somewhat, it's fairly readable.
Another advantage is that, within the source code, it is
more readable than the equivalent formula in HTML.
E.g. compare
with
  \( r_1 x_1 \)

> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/javadocs/api-3.6.1/org/apache/commons/math3/analysis/polynomials/PolynomialsUtils.html
>
> Then turn off Javascript (e.g. [1]) and look again.
>
> An example non-javascript output for an equation (method
> createJacobiPolynomial(int, int, int)) is:
>
> \( P_0^{vw}(x) = 1 \\ P_{-1}^{vw}(x) = 0 \\ 2k(k + v + w)(2k + v + w -
> 2) P_k^{vw}(x) = \\ (2k + v + w - 1)[(2k + v + w)(2k + v + w - 2) x +
> v^2 - w^2] P_{k-1}^{vw}(x) \\ - 2(k + v - 1)(k + w - 1)(2k + v + w)
> P_{k-2}^{vw}(x) \)
>

> [1] https://www.lifewire.com/disable-javascript-in-google-chrome-4103631
>

> > I think it would be sensible for the processing to be optional, e.g.
> > via a marker file.

Not all projects might expect improvement with MathJaX; if so,
they should not use it.  But deactivating MathJaX when it is used
in the Javadoc does not seem very user-friendly (if the marker file
would not include the HTML snippet necessary to invoke the script).
Anyways, it seems to be a component-level decision.