Hello.

> Hi Gilles,
>
> You ask some good questions which I may have been vague about due to
> familiarity with the possibilities. I hope to clarify a bit below.
>
> On 08/04/2019 16:05, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> > Hi Alex.
> >
> > Le lun. 8 avr. 2019 à 14:36, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> a
> > écrit :
> >> This is a starter for a discussion on the split and jump functionality
> >> for a random generator.
> >>
> >> Split:
> >>
> >> To create a new instance of the generator that is deterministically
> >> based on the state of the current instance but the probability that the
> >> sequence generated by the new instance and the current instance overlap
> >> is negligible.
> > I may well be mistaken but I seem to recall that a split is supposed
> > to create an instance with no overlap for a sequence below a certain
> > length.
>
>  From the implementations I have found in the XorShiRo family they have
> both a split and a jump.

The C implementations do not contain a "split" function, although the
Java ones do.
Is it only to preserve familiarity with the "SplittableRandom" API?
What are use-cases that would not be (better) covered by jump?

> The split basically creates a new random generator. There are no
> guarantees about sequence overlap. This is like seeding a new instance.
> The difference is that it is deterministic based on the current state
> and will return an instance of the same generator, that will be
> different, and do it fast. It is very simple to do this. Just scramble
> the current state using an algorithm different from how the state is
> regularly updated. I see it as a "scrambled copy" type functionality.

Is the only purpose to get a second instance faster than by
going through the "RandomSource" factory?  [If so, how many
creations would be needed in order to see a noticeable difference?]
Or there is a inherent interest of generating a instance using
another's state a seed?  [I'd tend to think there isn't due to the lack
of this functionality in C codes.]

> The jump is more constrained. It advances the generator to a point that
> would be reached after a large number of calls to next(). Here's how the
> documentation from XorShiro256StarStar describes its use (c-code):
>
> /* This is the jump function for the generator. It is equivalent
>     to 2^128 calls to next(); it can be used to generate 2^128
>     non-overlapping subsequences for parallel computations. */
>
> void jump(void);

Indeed, the "non-overlapping" guarantee is a added feature.

In comparison, "split" looks pretty bland (as just another way
to instantiate a generator).

> /* This is the long-jump function for the generator. It is equivalent to
>     2^192 calls to next(); it can be used to generate 2^64 starting points,
>     from each of which jump() will generate 2^64 non-overlapping
>     subsequences for parallel distributed computations. */
>
> void long_jump(void);
>
> So the idea is to seed an experiment once to get a single generator.
> Then jump it for each parallel computation. Each computation will then
> be guaranteed to run with a different sequence for at least as long as
> the jump length.
>
> This results in the following type of code using the API I suggested:
>
> // If jump returns a new instance
> JumpableUniformRandomProvider source = ...;
> UniformRandomProvider[] rngs = new UniformRandomProvider[128];
> for (int i = 0; i < rngs.length; i++) {
>      // Advance state
>      rngs[i] = source.jump();
>      source = rngs[i];
> }
>
> In my suggested API the jump returns a new instance. So calling jump
> repeatedly on the same generator keeps returning the same fast-forward
> state.

The least surprise behaviour.

> This could lead to errors if not well documented how to use it.

To be documented, but it would be the same kind of errors as
forgetting to increment a counter.

> The alternative is to advance the state of the same instance. So to get
> the same effect for parallel computations you must have an ability to
> copy a generator (which we do not have in the API).
>
> // If jump updates the current instance
> JumpableUniformRandomProvider source = ...;
> UniformRandomProvider[] rngs = new UniformRandomProvider[128];
> for (int i = 0; i < rngs.length; i++) {
>      // Advance state and copy
>      rngs[i] = source.jump().copy();
> }
>
> We previously discussed copy(). IIRC the conclusion was that copy()
> could be misused for parallel computations; it basically allows a
> parallel set of work all with a copy of the same generator and so
> limited randomness across the set.

Not sure what you mean by "limited randomness".

> Leaving it out of the API out forces
> the use of new generators for parallel work.
>
> So there are at least three options for jump:
>
> 1. jump returns a new instance with an advanced state. Current state is
> the same (possible errors when using this repeatedly)
>
> 2. jump advances the current state (requires separate copy method to be
> of use)
>
> 3. jump advances the current state and returns a new copy instance
> (combined jump and copy is possibly a bit confusing)
>
> I would opt maybe instead for option 2 over the original option 1. But
> then that exposes the 'risks' of misuse of just copy().

IIUC, what seems the most sensible is the option (1):

UniformRandomProvider rng = RandomSource.create(...);

// Create a non-overlapping RNG (e.g. to pass it to another thread.)
UniformRandomProvider another = rng.jump();

[This is supposing that there is a "master" thread for managing
the jumps (so as to have different sequences in all "slave"
threads).]

// If the user wants to use an "advanced" state within the
// same thread (but, what's the use-case?).
rng = rng.jump();

> >> Jump:
> >>
> >> To create a new instance of the generator that is deterministically
> >> based on the state of the current instance but advanced a set number of
> >> iterations.
> > IOW, after a jump, the new state is equivalent to the state one would
> > have gotten to after a specified (large) number of calls to "next()".
> Yes.
> >
> >> Split:
> >>
> >> This is an alternative to simply creating a new instance of the same
> >> generator using a different seed,
> > It's not my (limited/wrong ?) understanding.  What prevents the new
> > seed from creating a state that would be reached (by the original
> > instance) after just a few numbers?
> Nothing. There are no guarantees with split. However it should be noted
> that for the generators with a large state space the probability of
> collision will be low. Plus it would be no worse than creating a new
> instance anyway, just faster.

[See my issue with "faster", mentioned above.]

> >> or using the generator to create a
> >> seed then creating a new instance.
> > What is gained from using the current instance, rather than any other
> > generator to create a new seed (like it's done with the "SeedFactory")?
>
> Nothing. It was an example of an equivalent result to a split: get a new
> instance seeded differently.
>
> This circular argument does seem to indicate very little advantage to a
> split operation other than speed to get another instance of the same type.

Ah. ;-)

> Perhaps a use case is parallel computations where you do not care if the
> sequences overlap,

?
IIRC, this is the one of the cased where a user might need the guarantee
that sequences do *not* overlap (e.g. where the overlap would lead to
duplicating computations already done in another thread).

> only that they start from different points and have a
> unique instance for the thread. This would work for instance where each
> parallel task had different input to combine the randomness with anyway.
> In effect a situation where a simple copy of the same generator would
> also suffice.
>

> >> In the later case this would advance
> >> the current generator but a split does not have to (more on this later).
> >>
> >> Assuming the state of a generator is a set of bits with no further
> >> requirements then a split can be performed by a bit mixing algorithm. A
> >> commonly used algorithm is the finalisation step of the MurmurHash3 of
> >> Austin Appleby [1] which has variants to mix int and long values from
> >> input int or long.
> >>
> >> Most of the algorithms in Commons RNG should have a state applicable to
> >> simple mixing.
> > Subject to my very partial knowledge, I assumed that "jump" was
> > the engine behind the "split" functionality (whose purpose is to
> > ensure a specified number of non-overlapping sequences).
> No. The two are different. Split is faster and has less restrictions.

Faster in which real-life use-case?

> >> Notable exceptions are those that implement a controlled
> >> seeding procedure: MersenneTwister; MersenneTwister64; ISAAC; and
> >> TwoCmres. These have a state that is more controlled that just random
> >> bits. In most cases the split could be implemented by mixing the state
> >> to create a seed for a new instance, then running through the
> >> initialisation procedure. There may not be much value in this (over just
> >> forcing a user to create a new seeded instance) although making all the
> >> generators Splittable makes an easier to use library.
> > I thought that the question was whether a "jump" function always exists.
> > IOW, for some generators, the only way to get from one state to another
> > would be by passing through all the intermediate states.
>
> There may be no jump (which requires an exact update to the state) but
> there can always be a split. So this may be a reason to add both
> interfaces to the library. With split implemented by all generators they
> can all be used in parallel computations via split() to get a generator
> for each thread.

IIUC, "split" is useful when each thread that receives an instance
assumes that it can spawn further threads that will further "split"
that instance.
Given that instantiating a new thread will take much more time
than "split", the speedup (wrt instantiation by "RandomSource")
argument does not seem to hold.

> The lack of a jump is evident in the constructor for TwoCmres which
> would benefit from a jump function but instead explicitly forwards the
> state of each sub-cycle generator by calling it n times.
>

> >> A notable exception is the SplitMix64 algorithm. This implements
> >> generation of long values identically to Java 8's SplittableRandom. The
> >> sequence is generated using a linear series of long values that is mixed
> >> to output random long values. The linear series is produced using a
> >> default increment that maximises the period of the sequence. A simple
> >> split implementation would just mix the current point in the series.
> >> However Java 8's SplittableRandom also mixes the increment constant
> >> (using a MurmurHash3 mix step). The constant is then forced to be odd
> >> and contain a high number of bit state transitions (i.e. 0s to 1s or 1s
> >> to 0s, the maximum for a long is 32) [2]. So should the Commons RNG
> >> class match the implementation of SplittableRandom? This may have
> >> licensing issues. Note: A side-effect of requiring two numbers for the
> >> split instance is the current instance is advanced.
> >>
> >> Given there are no decisions to be made by the user when splitting a
> >> suggestion for an API would be a new interface akin to
> >> RestorableUniformRandomProvider:
> >>
> >> package org.apache.commons.rng;
> >>
> >> public interface SplittableUniformRandomProvider extends
> >> UniformRandomProvider {
> >>
> >>       SplittableUniformRandomProvider split();
> >>
> >> }
> >>

> >> An implementation detail:
> >>
> >> Q. Should a split advance the state of the current generator? This
> >> allows successive split() calls from the same instance to create new
> >> variants.
> > I cannot give a pertinent opinion given my questions above...
> >
> > IIUC what you wrote earlier (i.e. "split" is akin to create a new
> > instance from a different seed), it does not need to be defined
> > "internally".  And, actually, calling "RandomSource.create", without
> > specifying the seed, is indeed doing a "split" (?).]
> >
> > If I'm correct (about "jump" ensuring non-overlapping sequences),
> > then "rng.split()" would just be equivalent to "rng.jump()".
>
> Given the above split just scrambles the state into a new generator.
> This allows:
>
> // If split does not update the current instance
> JumpableUniformRandomProvider source = ...;
> UniformRandomProvider[] rngs = new UniformRandomProvider[128];
> for (int i = 0; i < rngs.length; i++) {
>      // Advance state and split
>      source.nextLong();
>      rngs[i] = source.split();
> }
>
> // If split advances the current instance
> JumpableUniformRandomProvider source = ...;
> UniformRandomProvider[] rngs = new UniformRandomProvider[128];
> for (int i = 0; i < rngs.length; i++) {
>      // Split advances (even only one step)
>      rngs[i] = source.split();
> }

And the same, without "split":

RandomSource source = ...;
for (int i = 0; i < rngs.length; i++) {
    rngs[i] = RandomSource.create(source);
}

> So perhaps the better implementation is to require that split will alter
> the state of the current instance and return a new instance of the same
> generator which will have a different output. This allows repeat calls
> to split to create new generators.
>
> Note that the split implementation for SplittableRandom will:
>
> - Advance the current instance two calls to next()
>
> - Create a new instance with a random seed and a different (random)
> increment
>
> This ensures each new generator has a different output. The Javadoc states:
>
>       * Constructs and returns a new SplittableRandom instance that
>       * shares no mutable state with this instance. However, with very
>       * high probability, the set of values collectively generated by
>       * the two objects has the same statistical properties as if the
>       * same quantity of values were generated by a single thread using
>       * a single SplittableRandom object.  Either or both of the two
>       * objects may be further split using the {@code split()} method,
>       * and the same expected statistical properties apply to the
>       * entire set of generators constructed by such recursive
>       * splitting.
>
> This is a bit more than a split to scramble the state (since the output
> sequences will very unlikely overlap) but not quite a jump of a defined
> length along the output sequence.

Before adding "split" to API, we must identify how it is supposed
to be used.
If the purpose is to provide alternatives to "SplittableRandom", I'd
rather explore whether/how to create an adapter class around
"RandomSource" like it was done for "Random".

> >> I would vote yes. It will prevent misuse where multiple threads are
> >> created that each have an instance provided by a call to split() on the
> >> same source generator that is not otherwise advanced.
> >>
> >> A user can always save the state of any of the generators in the library
> >> and restore it to the state before the call to split if they so desire.
> >>

> >> Jump:
> >>
> >> This requires a generator that has a predictable state at some point in
> >> the future given the current state. The XorShiRo family have jump
> >> functions computed by the original authors. The jump size in power of 2
> >> is provided. The SplitMix is a simple linear series and so can be jumped
> >> any distance. Jumps functions are available for:
> >>
> >> XOR_SHIFT_1024_S & XOR_SHIFT_1024_S_PHI (512)
> >> XO_SHI_RO_128_PLUS & XO_SHI_RO_128_SS (64)
> >> XO_RO_SHI_RO_128_PLUS & XO_RO_SHI_RO_128_SS (64, 96)
> >> XO_SHI_RO_256_PLUS & XO_SHI_RO_256_SS (128, 192)
> >> XO_SHI_RO_512_PLUS & XO_SHI_RO_512_SS (256)
> >> SPLIT_MIX_64 (1 - 63) [3]
> >>
> >> *** The list may not be complete as I have not checkout the original
> >> source for all generators. ***
> >>
> >> The fact that the jump size can be different requires a more flexible
> >> API. Currently all the jumps are powers of 2. But this may not always be
> >> true. This allows the following specification to indicate the number of
> >> jumps that are supported:
> > What is meant by supported?
> > I'd guess the number of jumps before the sequence wraps (?).
> > If so, does the newly created instance gets its number of supported
> > jumps reduced by one?
>
> I meant 'Supported' as the number of different jump lengths that can be
> done. So at least 1 but, as for the XorShiRo generators, this can be 2.
>
> I did not think an alternative API returning how far you can jump was
> useful. Just that it be flexible enough that short and long jumps can be
> specified.
>
> Tracking the number of jumps left before a collision would be up to the
> user.

Then why not stay close to the C and define a "LongJumpable" interface?

> >> package org.apache.commons.rng;
> >>
> >> public interface JumpableUniformRandomProvider extends
> >> UniformRandomProvider {
> >>
> >>       int getNumberOfJumps();
> >>
> >>       JumpableUniformRandomProvider jump(int jump);
> >>
> >> }
> > If jump sizes and number of "supported" jumps are implementation-dependent,
> > it's not clear to me that it should be part of the API here (e.g.
> > could the caller
> > obtain an instance for which "getNumberOfJumps()" would return zero?).
> No. If you implement the JumpableUniformRandomProvider then you must be
> able to jump. So perhaps just the version with jump(), longJump() and
> isLongJumpSupported().

I think that the "number of jumps" is ambiguous, IIUC that you actually
mean "number of jump types" ("short" vs ""long").

> >> The implementation would then support any jump parameter up to the
> >> supported number of jumps.
> >>
> >> The definition of the meaning of the jump parameter is ambiguous. It
> >> should be documented in the implementing class what the 'jump' refers to.

The meaning is clear (shortcut to advance to a state very far from the
current one); the documentation should indeed indicate "how far", and
how many jumps before wrapping occurs.

> >> This would allow for example XO_SHI_RO_256_PLUS to return 2 for the two
> >> supported jump sizes and document the actual size of the jumps. The
> >> SplitMix algorithm would return some TBD number [4].
> >>
> >> An alternative is to mandate only a single jump, or as shown below a
> >> maximum of two jumps:
> >>
> >> package org.apache.commons.rng;
> >>
> >> public interface JumpableUniformRandomProvider extends
> >> UniformRandomProvider {
> >>
> >>       boolean isLongJumpSupported();
> >>
> >>       JumpableUniformRandomProvider jump();
> >>
> >>       JumpableUniformRandomProvider longJump();
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> This may not be flexible enough going forward.
> > I'm missing many points, and this one too as a consequence.
> >
> > My (simplistic?) idea was to have methods added to the
> > "UniformRandomProvider" interface:
> >
> > public interface UniformRandomProvider {
> >      // ...
> >
> >      boolean isJumpable();
> >      UniformRandomProvider jump();
> > }
> >
> > [Of course, it would be an incompatible change, unless we decide
> > to only target JDK versions that allow "default" methods.]
> >
> > With comptability, we could have a "JumpableUniformRandomProvider"
> > interface with a single "jump" method (functional interface?), and define
> > "createJumpable" methods in "RandomSource" that would throw if the
> > "core" implementation does not support "jump".
> A single jump function is better than nothing but missing the fact that
> for half of the implementations for which we know a jump they have two
> jump lengths. Since we are starting from scratch I think we should make
> the API support this flexibility.

Do you foresee the appearance of "long_long_jump" functions in C
implementations that would justify having a one-argument "jump(int)"
method (for which the argument would 1 or 2 currently) in Java?
IMHO, it's far-fetched, given
* the number of Java users still happily using "Random",
* the fraction of them who'd consider a better implementation,
* the fraction of those who'd need more than one RNG instance,
* the fraction who'd use them in a multi-threaded application,
* and with a non-overlapping guarantee (thus requiring "jump")
* and generating a very long sequence from the same RNG (thus
  requiring "longJump"), ...
;-)

> >> Discussion on this is requested.
> > Do any of these questions/comments make sense? :-)
> Always.

Thanks.

To summarize:
Do you think it's possible to discuss "jump" separately from "split"?
IMO, "jump" is a more important feature, and is definitely algorithm-dependent
("core") functionality, while "split" seems a JDK invention (?) which we might
perhaps mimic without adding code to the core implementations (?).

Best,
Gilles