On Sat, 4 May 2019 at 23:52, Alex Herbert <alex.d.herb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> So this then becomes a functional interface that can be used by
> anything. However instances of a sampler would be expected to return a
> sampler matching their own functionality.
> >>
> >> Note there are some samplers not implementing an interface that also
> could benefit from this. Namely CollectionSampler and
> DiscreteProbabilityCollectionSampler. So does this need a generic interface:
> >>
> >> Sampler<T> {
> >>    T sample();
> >> }
> >>
> >> To be complimented with:
> >>
> >> SamplerProvider<T> {
> >>    Sampler<T> create(UniformRandomProvider rng);
> >> }
> >>
> >> So the library would require:
> >>
> >> SamplerProvider<T>
> >> DiscreteSamplerProvider
> >> ContinuousSamplerProvider
> >>
> >> Any sampler can choose to implement being a Provider. There are some
> cases where it is mute. For example a ZigguratNormalizedGaussianSampler
> just stores the rng in the constructor. However it could still be a
> Provider just the method would only call the constructor. It would allow
> writing a generic multi-threaded application that just uses e.g. a
> DiscreteSamplerProvider to create samplers for each thread. You can then
> drop in the actual implementation you require. For example you could swap
> the type of PoissonSampler in your simulation by swapping the provider for
> the Poisson distribution.
> >>
> >> How does that sound?
> >
> > Fine to have
> >  DiscreteSamplerProvider
> >  ContinuousSamplerProvider
> > [Perhaps the "Supplier" suffix would be better to avoid confusion with
> > "UniformRandomProvider".]
> >
> > At first sight, I don't think that the generic interface would have
> > any actual use since, ultimately, the return value of "sample()"
> > will be either "int" or "double" (no polymorphism).
> >

> The generic interface is for the samplers that are typed for collections
> and currently return a sample T, or those that return arrays. It would not
> be for Integer or Double from the probability distribution samplers. Here
> are what could use it:
>
> CombinationSampler implements Sampler<int[]>
> PermutationSampler implements Sampler<int[]>
> CollectionSampler implements Sampler<T>
> DiscreteProbabilityCollectionSampler implements Sampler<T>
>
> All are in the package org.apache.commons.rng.sampling.
>
> Each could also implement SamplerSupplier<T>.
>
> The set-up cost for the CombinationSampler/PermutationSampler would not be
> much different from the constructor and no state can be shared. No real
> benefit here other than convenience. But the two CollectionSamplers could
> shared the final collection that is created and stored from the constructor
> input data. For the case of a large discrete probability collection sampler
> this could be a noticeable memory footprint as it also stores the
> cumulative distribution table. This would also save on the construction

Any further thoughts on this? I think that Supplier is perhaps the wrong
term. A Java 8 Supplier has a get() functional method with no parameters.
These interfaces would require a UniformRandomProvider as the argument.
However the Java 8 Function<T, R> apply method which is applicable here is
is a poorer name. So:

DiscreteSampler
ContinuousSampler
Sampler<T>

and trying a few options out:

DiscreteSamplerFactory createDiscreteSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
ContinuousSamplerFactory createContinuousSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
SamplerFactory<T> createSampler(UniformRandomProvider)

vs.

DiscreteSamplerFactory newDiscreteSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
ContinuousSamplerFactory newContinuousSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
SamplerFactory<T> newSampler(UniformRandomProvider)

vs.

DiscreteSamplerSupplier getDiscreteSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
ContinuousSamplerSupplier getContinuousSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
SamplerSupplier<T> getSampler(UniformRandomProvider)

vs.

DiscreteSamplerGenerator newDiscreteSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
ContinuousSamplerGenerator newContinuousSampler(UniformRandomProvider)
SamplerGenerator<T> newSampler(UniformRandomProvider)

The 'create/new' nomenclature does convey that a new instance is expected,
so I prefer that over get. I'm undecided on which is the most appropriate
noun for the interface name.