The [rng] pom does not have a default goal. Here are the default goals in the projects I currently have checked out:

commons-codec/pom.xml:    <defaultGoal>clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check javadoc:javadoc</defaultGoal>

commons-collections/pom.xml:    <defaultGoal>clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check javadoc:javadoc</defaultGoal>

commons-lang/pom.xml:   <defaultGoal>clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check checkstyle:check spotbugs:check javadoc:javadoc</defaultGoal>

commons-statistics/pom.xml:    <defaultGoal>clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check checkstyle:check pmd:check spotbugs:check javadoc:javadoc</defaultGoal>

commons-text/pom.xml:    <defaultGoal>clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check checkstyle:check spotbugs:check javadoc:javadoc</defaultGoal>

These seem to match at least this:

clean verify apache-rat:check clirr:check javadoc:javadoc

Some also run:

checkstyle:check spotbugs:check

The only projects I have without a default goal are:

commons-geometry
commons-math
commons-numbers
commons-rng

I think it would be useful to run all the checks that the project is required to pass in travis as the default goal. This can be used by a developer as a final check before commit.

Opinions?

Is the defaultGoal a domain of the developer (as it is used above) or should it be for an end user, e.g. where I have seen it used for 'mvn install'.

Alex