Hi.

Le jeu. 13 juin 2019 à 01:34, Heinrich Bohne <heinrich.bo...@gmx.at> a écrit :

>  > (2) Why not refactor and pull-out methods? This then forces you to _name_
>  > the methods, instead of the above (anonymous blocks vs. commented
> blocks.)
>
> I did not pull out the code sections into separate methods because I had no
> intention of re-structuring the whole class. I only wanted to fix a bug in
> the class Fraction and add a test case in FractionTest that would have
> failed
> due to this bug, and in theprocess organize that which was already
> present in
> FractionTest a bit better, because it has been pointed out to me that new
> contributions should not only strive to improve functionality but also
> readability.
> Introducing those code blocks seemed like a straightforward way of
> making the
> mess in the bodies of some of the test methods in FractionTest more
> comprehensible –
> I would think that adding new methods could be more controversial than
> adding
> code blocks.
>
> Besides, should anyone in the future wish to extract these code sections
> into
> separate methods, I doubt that the code blocks would be a hindrance – if
> anything,
> I imagine that they would it easier, because with the code blocks, it is
> a lot
> clearer WHAT can be extracted to a method in the first place than
> without them.
>
>  > (1) It is helpful to add a // comment for each block, otherwise, it
> feels
>  > anonymous and weird to me.
>
> I am not sure how adding a comment to the code blocks would be helpful in
> this case. The blocks only serve to separate the test cases, and most of
> the time,
> these test cases differ only in the values that they use, and not in
> some defining
> characteristic. For example, the first three blocks in testReciprocal()
> only test
> some different arbitrary fractions, but are otherwise completely
> analogous, so I
> couldn't think of any other comment than something like "test case 1",
> "test case 2",
> etc. Granted, the fourth block tests failure with a zero-denominator, so
> in this
> case, I can understand your point about adding comments. By the way,
> some of these
> test cases were already commented before I edited the class.

Overall, readability is not worse; and the addition of blocks is in
the spirit of "small steps".
My first reaction was also that functions would be more readable,
but some would be quite trivial, adding another layer for not much
improvement.
Anyway, this can be done in another pass (one is already foreseen
in order to switch to Junit5).  So, any objection to merging the PR?

Thanks,
Gilles