Regarding the question, it was by Simon Ritter (Azul Systems
previously Oracle previously Sun). "Put your hand up if your running
applications in production using Java X", started with Java 8, then
asked about 11, then 12 and 13, then asked 7 and then 6. Not sure if
he said Java 5 but I don't think he did.

It's great java is backwards compatible, but Java 5 was EOL 2009, Java
6 was EOL 2013, Java 7 was EOL 2015, java 8 EOL 2019 personal usage
2020 and AdoptOpenJDK 2023).

People jokes and complained about Java was dead or slow and releases
took 2-5 years... JPMS has now been released for 2 years and how many
frameworks/applications have actually release a version where you can
take advantage of modules and create real lightweight images.

I've been using Java since 1.1, I was annoyed major releases took
ages, but I'm more annoyed about the whole java ecosystem not stepping
up as they have got use to the previously slow release cycles. I
realise OpenSource project is done in peoples spare time and they are
choosing to participate, but I've tried with multiple projects to
raise pull requests to help taking the next steps.

My personal view is all commons projects should aim from Jan 2020 to
bump to creating multi release jars of Java 8 and Java 11, so people
using Java 8 are still supported and people using Java 11+ can uses
modules.