On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 12:54, Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 24/10/2019 à 12:54, sebb a écrit :
>
> > Without a fixed tag pointing to a commit, AIUI the commit can be
> > eliminated through a force push.
>
> Force pushing a branch doesn't erase the tags along it nor its parent
> commits. The commit and the tag still exist in the repository.
>

> > That is deliberate, to avoid the lost commit issue.
>
> Git commits aren't easily lost. They can be recovered from ASF backups,
> GitHub, developers working repositories and from the affected repository
> itself until it's garbage collected.

AFAIK all of the above eventually expire, so the commit can only be
recovered if its loss is noticed soon enough.

Provenance is far too important to have to rely on such time-consuming
and non-guaranteed methods.

> > It's standard within the ASF now.
>
> It's a feature provided by the ASF infrastructure if we are interested
> in using it, not a mandatory policy. I'm not interested in more complexity.

But you don't seem to mind if someone else has the complex job of
recovering a commit?

> >> * it doesn't solve any actual issue
> >
> > Yes, it does solve an issue - see above.
>
> Sorry but no, it never happened in Commons, this is purely theoretical.

How do you know if a commit has been lost?

Commons was using SVN until recently; SVN does not have the issue.
Also force pushes have only been enabled recently.

AIUI the point of the rel/* tags is to guard against misuse
(accidental or otherwise) of force-push.

> And should it happen anyway it's trivial to restore the original branch
> from a developer repository.

Assuming that the missing commit is noticed before the developer resyncs.

> >> * we want fewer steps to our release process, not more
> >
> > No, we want as few as possible, but no fewer.
>
> It's possible to work without read-only tags, so let's not overload our
> processes even more please.

Of course it's possible, but is it sensible?