Hello.

Le mer. 26 févr. 2020 à 03:49, CT <chentao...@qq.com> a écrit :

> Hi Gilles,

> From:&nbsp;"GillesSadowski"<gillese...@gmail.com&gt;;
> Date:&nbsp;Wed, Feb 26, 2020 00:32 AM
> To:&nbsp;"Commons Developers List"<dev@commons.apache.org&gt;;
>
> Subject:&nbsp;Re: [math] Discuss: New feature MiniBatchKMeansClusterer
>

> &gt;Hello.
> &gt;
> &gt;[Side question: Do you send a copy of your posts directly to me?
> &gt;If so, that is not necessary and is even annoying because when I
> &gt;hit "reply" in my mail client, the conversation continues off-list...]
>
> Yes, I always copy to you, I found the ML never forward my email up to now
> (that I subscribe the ML with my other email and never received my own email).
> Sorry for annoying you, but you are the only person received my email because
> I CC to you.

This last mail of yours was received by the mailing list, as witnessed
by the archive copy:
    https://markmail.org/message/qjk6zmdypqigxl2k

Hitting "reply" in my mail client now works as expected (setting the
destination to the ML).

However, you sent the same post twice.  And the quoted text is
somewhat mangled again by the quotation mark being replaced
by the corresponding HTML entity ("&gt;").

> &gt;&gt;Le mar. 25 févr. 2020 à 14:53, CT <chentao...@qq.com&gt; a écrit :
> &gt;&gt;
> &gt;&gt; Hi Gilles:
> &gt;&gt; &nbsp Sorry for my unfamiliar in contribution. I started a new PR
> for most of your suggestion:
> &gt;&gt; https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/120
> &gt;
> &gt;Sorry for seemingly nit-picking but the global issue is the same
> &gt;as with PR #118: It contains too many unrelated changes.
> &gt;There should be *one* PR for each batch of significant changes.
> &gt;More precisely, for this work, that would entail (a.o. things), one
> &gt;PR for each of the following:
> &gt; * Class "ClusterUtils" (design yet to be discussed)
> &gt; * Factoring out whatever code is necessary for your proposed
> &gt;feature (that would otherwise be duplicated)
> &gt;
> &gt;We try and avoid bloating the API, hence the changes which
> &gt;I've suggested:
> &gt; * remove the constructors with default parameters
> &gt;
> &gt;Overall, each PR should probably contain a single commit, in
> &gt;order to ease review.
> Do you mean this:
> &nbsp;* For JIRA issue #MATH-1509 Start a PR with "MiniBatchKMeansClusterer",
> but without the "ClusterUtils",
> despite the duplicate code between "MiniBatchKMeansClusterer" and
> "KMeansPlusPlusClusterer",
> also with "CentroidInitializer" and test code with in a single commit.
> &nbsp;* Suggestions like "remove the constructors with default parameters"
> should apply as a new commit of the PR above,
> and tracking by a subtask of JIRA issue #MATH-1509.
> &nbsp;* Fire a new JIRA issue for the duplicate code, and start another PR
> with "ClusterUtils" in,
> and extract duplicate code into "ClusterUtils".

No, you should start with the smallest possible self-contained PR.
For example, why should we commit a code that defines several
constructors, while we already know that a second commit should
remove them?

As you've noticed that some functionality must be factored out of
"KMeansPlusPlusClusterer", this should be done first as a separate
JIRA issue. IIUC, you propose "ClusterUtils".  By reviewing a
minimal PR, we should be able to examine whether another
approach might be better (than a "utility" class) in order to expose
functionality common to all clusterer algorithms.
For example, could all "Kmeans" implementations inherit from
a common base class?

Best regards,
Gilles