I think most of the original developers have moved on.  I did some of the
recent updates surrounding 1.1.1 support, and Marcelo was a big help
throughout the process.  He established design goals, reviewed code,
provided tips, etc.  I haven't seen him around in a while though, and I'm
not sure that he's still active.  I've also asked about getting a new
release out, and I'm happy to work with someone who has commit permissions
to make it happen.  I've never done a release for apache commons, but I'm
sure I could figure it out if I was teamed with someone who had the proper
access and was pointed in the right direction.

Alex