At OpenWhisk, they've come up with a more standardized process around
this as they have a lot of components, too.

https://github.com/apache/openwhisk-release

And the related utilities for enforcing releasability and similar things:

https://github.com/apache/openwhisk-utilities

This began as a release candidate validation script to check all the
automatable verifications (like checksums, signatures, RAT checks and
other language equivalents, scanning for binaries in sources, etc.),
and it's grown into an automated system for helping ensure all the
various components of the project are fairly easy to release and
verify. There might be some useful stuff here for Commons, too.

--
Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com>