On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 9:44 AM Xeno Amess <xenoam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The idea behind not making *Util constructors private is that it makes
> people be able to extend that class.
> for example:
>
> https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/lang3/StringUtils.java#L9627

I have not see a use case that requires instances of classes that only
provide static methods in a long time, like the Javadoc mentions, there
used to be JavaBean tools that needed this, and some UI builders IIRC, but
I do not see a case of it today. Inheritance in Java on the static side is
not the same as on the instance side, so subclassing a class that only
provides static methods is no help.

Gary