> On Sep 16, 2020, at 4:43 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 4:25 PM Gilles Sadowski <gillese...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Le mer. 16 sept. 2020 à 21:09, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> a
>>> écrit :
>>>
>>> I think we really want the PRs, the main benefit is to have the software
>>> built and tested WITH the dependency update, that is a huge time saver.
>>
>> Yes, but the bot should submit the PR only when asked by a human,
>> at times where it brings some value.
>> There is no value in trying all the versions of all the plugins.
>
> I disagree there.
>
> Upon reflection and current experience, I want all of Dependabot minus
> the emails.

The dependabot emails are a symptom to the real problem at hand. We have quite
a lot of large code bases. If the general populous was interested in the
project, we would similarly get an overwhelming volume of email.

I don’t have a good answer here because I’m honestly trying to think of the bot
as an actual person trying to do legitimate development. If we had a person
making such a large volume of reasonable pull requests, would we not bring them
in as a committer and ask them to make direct commits? Why not let dependabot
loose directly on the top level branches of each project? Then we’d get
straight commit emails as opposed to this volume of pull requests which I agree
is annoying.

Thoughts?

-Rob