On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 at 20:14, Matt Sicker <boa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd also be interested in benchmarking comparisons as I've been
> working on a proof of concept using Blake3 to do similarly (I have a
> pure Java implementation and a JNI version that ultimately invokes the
> reference C implementation, though I've also wondered about linking
> the reference Rust implementation). The potential advantage to linking
> in the native implementations here would be in taking advantage of
> CPU-specific extensions like SSE, AVX, NEON, etc., which aren't
> accessible from the JVM without JNI or other patches to the JDK
> itself. If the overhead turns out to be non-negligible, then we should
> probably keep the native code bindings to commons-crypto while porting
> pure Java implementations to commons-codec.

Of course the disadvantage is that the code is not portable.
Also each OS version will need separate testing and makes releasing
binaries harder.
This is an issue we have already faced with Crypto.
And there will be versions of Java for which it will not work.

So unless the is a great performance improvement, I don't think it's
worth the extra overheads.