> >> That certainly doesn't prevent anybody else from trying to find a
> >> compromise :-)
>
> > It feels like Optionals could be a compromise.
>
> I must admit I've lost track of the later discussion threads. If you
> mean that we'd return Optional<> results, this would become an entirely
> different API.

It certainly does. And I personally don't think it's the best course of
action at this stage - unless someone is eager to work on a new major
version. But if you look for a compromise it seem to be the only one
acceptable to both "camps".

I'd very much like us to get to a compromise that helps our users and
> doesn't force us to randomly fix RuntimeExceptions that slipped through
> overly optimistic parser code.

Well, I am fine with the solution you proposed :)

cheers,
Torsten