Hello.

> [...]
> >
> > Are we expecting complex-numbers to be an efficient pure java library that
> > could be used by other java libraries such as commons-imaging for data
> > compression (DCT /JPEG lossy compression)?
> >

> Numbers should be seen as a toolbox to be used by other Java applications.
> The best location for routines is something to discuss on the mailing list.
> In the example of DCT, I am not aware if imaging currently has an encoder
> implementation for this. There is a decoder:
> org/apache/commons/imaging/formats/jpeg/decoder/Dct.jav

Also:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-math.git;a=blob;f=commons-math-transform/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math4/transform/FastCosineTransform.java

It would be a maintenance boon if "Commons" could come up with
a consensus about which components must be dependency-free and
which could depend on other (lower-level) "Commons" components.

[Imaging] is clearly higher-level than [Math] and that such non-obvious
algorithms should be maintained in a single place.  Through the process
of modularizing [Math], we have "commons-math-transform" module,
with zero dependency, so it would bring zero bloat to [Imaging] users if
we consolidate usage.

Of course, that would imply testing and benchmarking all current
implementations, and retain the best (taking various axes into account:
performance, robustness, flexibility).