Hi Matt,

This is quite timely since I've spent the past week researching
frameworks to modularize a monolithic application at my day job into
separate components/plugins. Everything I've looked at so far is
larger and more complicated than I need (e.g. OSGi, Spring, etc) so I
was seriously considering writing my own, perhaps based on select
components from the Plexus project [1]. I would be interested in this
project if it could do the following:
- provide a standardized plugin packaging format;
- provide standardized configuration mechanisms;
- handle plugin discovery and enumeration;
- handle service discovery, enumeration, and dependency injection;
- handle class loading and resolution of plugin dependencies (e.g. a
plugin that depends on a different version of commons-lang than
another plugin); and
- provide plugin lifecycle methods.

It would also be great if the project was compatible with different
frameworks. For example, if the dependency injection functionality
could be swapped out for Spring if needed.

I haven't totally completed my research so I'm not sure if there is
actually an existing framework out there that satisfies the above
requirements. If not, I would be willing to help out to get this
implemented, regardless of whether it ends up in commons or not.

One more thought: I think it would be equally important (if not more
so) to define the non-goals of this potential project as the goals. Do
you have an idea of what those would be?

Regards,
Matt J

[1] https://codehaus-plexus.github.io/