Hello Gael.

Le mer. 1 mars 2023 à 07:25, Gael Yimen Yimga <yimeng...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello All,
>
> Please I have a few questions that I asked below. Please let me know how I
> can be helpful on this project. This is my first time as a contributor on
> Apache projects.

Welcome.
Have you contributed to other community projects?  Are you developing
personal projects (e.g. programming projects for school assignments)?

> I was able to retrieve some information from my research and I posted them
> below.
>
> Skills:
> ====
>
> - Open a PR on GitHub to add a feature in the topic area. It should be of
> non-trivial complexity and delivered to a quality ready to merge.
> - Show knowledge of the topic area beyond this single feature,
> demonstrating ability to continue to significantly contribute through a 3
> month period in the subject area.
>
> How do you assess these skills ?

By reviewing the proposed contribution(s).

It's OK to start with simple ones, like fixing our documentation:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MATH/issues/MATH-1603
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MATH/issues/MATH-1580

The userguide's (editable) files are within the source repository:
  https://github.com/apache/commons-math/tree/master/src/userguide

The rendered output is on the web site:
   https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/userguide/index.html

> What should one do to show these skills ?

Pick some issue from the bug-tracking system, and start working on
it; one can then start more specific discussions here, or on the JIRA
page.

> Goals:
> ====
> Some ideas (for "Commons Math"):
> 1. Redesign and modularization of the "ml" package
>   -> main goal: enable multi-thread usage
> 2. Abstracting the linear algebra utilities
>   -> main goal: allow (runtime?) switch to alternative implementations
> 3. Redesign and modularization of the "random" package
>   -> main goal: general support of low-discrepancy sequences
> 4. Refactoring and modularization of the "special" package
>  -> main goal: ensure accuracy and performance and better API,
>      add other functions (?).
>
> These goals seem to be not clear enough to me. Can one please give more
> details about these goals ?

Probably better that you start by looking at the code (in particular the
packages referred to).  It might clarify the context of the (somewhat
terse, I agree) listing above.  Then you can figure out
* which tasks look simple enough and
* ask more specific questions.

> or are there more granular tickets that are
> created to achieve these goals ?

There are.  You can find them with the search facility provided in
JIRA (using "keywords").
If you have problems with that, we can help, but you should first
select an area of work as suggested in the previous paragraph.

> or should the candidate come up with the
> Jira tickets ?

That's quite fine, too.  You'll have to search JIRA anyways, to avoid
duplicate reports.

> If so, what would be the entry point to learn for a
> candidate to be able to achieve this ?

* Read (sections of) the userguide.
* Download ("git clone") the repository, and perform a local build.
* Select an area of work, and ensure that you understand the
subject matter enough so as to be able to work on the related
tasks.

Best regards,