Le jeu. 29 juin 2023 à 16:18, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> > I never could find a convincing example of "recoverable conditions".
>
> Really? How about typing in a bad server name, user name, or password?

Unfortunately we use different definitions of "recoverable".

IMO, they are typically *non*-recoverable errors: Input is plain wrong
and the called code can do *nothing* about it (apart from telling the
caller to fix it on its end, and try again).

> That's a classic recoverable exception (in JDBC land for example).

The situation is recoverable from the caller's POV, by performing a
*new* call, with a correct argument.  We certainly don't need a special
kind of exception[1] to handle this situation.  What's wrong with catching
a "RuntimeException" if you know how to try again?

JDBC is old.  Does any new, similarly widely used API, make similar
use of checked exceptions?

[1] In recent years Java borrowed several good ideas from other
languages; AFAIK, no language borrowed the "checked exception"
idea from Java.